Mark Johnson, MD, PhD
Expert Profile

User Photo For: DrMarkEJohnson
Mark Johnson, MD, PhD
Cosmetic surgeon | Views: 43311

Friendname: DrMarkEJohnson
Business Name: Nouveau Jeunesse Rejuvenative Medicine
Website: findnewyouth.com
Location: 7131 W Deschutes Ave, Ste 101
Kennewick, WA 99336
United States
Telephone: 509-736-9989
Languages Spoken: English

Post a reply Ask Mark Johnson a question Return to Mark Johnson's homepage

Ask An Expert > Mark Johnson Message Board > torn muscle?
Default User Photo
viera, FL
torn muscle?
I had breast implant 2 years ago. the first surgeon had torn muscle medial of right breast, the result was close to symmastia. Then went to another doctor who placed smaller implant above the muscle. The result was great but 6 months later i had capsule contraction in both implant. The same doctor removed the implant and place them under the muscle. the result was not even as the right breast looked deformed and bigger than left.
Finally I got tired and went to the third surgeon to remove the implant. But the result was not even. the right still looked deformed.
My question: could the reason be the torn muscle? or could be an internal incision on the top of muscle that the last surgeon could not locate?

Attached Media


before any implants


after implant removal

Plastic surgeon
Baltimore, MD
United States
View My Professional Profile
Breast Augmentation  October 1, 2012 11:28 AM

Though you are early after the surgery, the deformity in the right breast will probably persist. It is possible that the muscle was released too much causing the skin to stick to the chest wall causing the deformity.
It seems also that in the second surgery you had the inframammary line elevated.
The only alternative is to explore the pocket of the implant and the muscle. If the muscle is retracted, repair can be done but may require alloderm(expensive). You also need to be prepared to remove the implants or again change position at the same time. This decision will depend on the findings in during surgery.
You may have noted that your breasts weere asymmetrical prior to surgery, but that does not account for the deformity. The deformity is due to surgical adventure.
Therefore repair may require a two stage procedures. I may also consider fat transfer to the deformed area to build it up and get you back to normal.

Cosmetic surgeon
Kennewick, WA
United States
View My Professional Profile
  October 17, 2012 1:56 PM

I would recommend stem cell fat augmentation to try to achieve as much symmetry as possible while giving a more natural look and feel. It is unlikely that perfection will be achievable under any circumstances, but the fat would give the most natural appearance, a look not inconsistant with the multiple naturally occuring assymetries found normally in womens breasts.
Kind regards,
Mark E. Johnson, MD, PhD

Plastic surgeon
Miami, FL
United States
View My Professional Profile
  October 18, 2012 3:40 AM

Try fat grafting to that area.



Welcome to the Ask An Expert section of our website! Our network of board certified physicians can answer any questions that you may have regarding plastic surgery, skin care, dermatology and other conditions. Popular topics include tummy tuck, liposuction, rhinoplasty, acne scars, facelift, breast augmentation and more. This frequently asked questions section is opened to everyone and you need to set up an account with Makemeheal before you can ask your own question. This service is absolutely free and is available to those who are interested in learning more about a particular cosmetic procedure, treatment or product.

Before asking a question, we recommend you to browse through our existing collection of questions and answers to ensure that the question you want to ask have not already been answered by our highly experienced experts. This will help you save time and get an answer more quickly. When asking a new question, we recommend you to be very detailed so that our experts could formulate a more precise & professional answer.

Of course, this service is not a substitute for a doctor visit or a consultation with a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist. The answer you will find here only serve as initial directions of thoughts and not as specific instructions. You should remember that it is utterly important to consult a skilled specialist prior to scheduling any type of treatment in order to get acquainted with possible contraindications. Only a one-on-one meeting will enable your cosmetic surgeon to properly evaluate your condition, conduct examinations and explain their results.